Analysis of a rough conclusion to the Orioles’ trip out west.
Game 1: 3-2 win on Monday night (Aug. 10)
Game 2: 6-5 10-inning loss on Tuesday night (Aug. 11)
Game 3: 3-0 loss on Wednesday (Aug. 12)
What I liked:
1. Chris Davis – He had a solo homer and an RBI single in Game 1 and another solo homer in Game 2, giving him 12 homers in a 20-game stretch. Davis went 4-for-10 with two walks in the series overall.
2. Wei-Yin Chen’s start in Game 1 – He allowed one run in 7 1/3 innings, giving up just three hits and two walks. A much-needed quality outing for Chen, who hadn’t lasted more than 5 1/3 innings in each of his previous three starts.
3. Kevin Gausman’s start in Game 3 – He rebounded nicely from a terrible outing at the Angels last Friday night: three runs in seven innings on eight strikeouts versus six hits, two walks and a wild pitch.
4. The bullpen – Orioles relievers combined to allow two runs (one earned) in 9 1/3 innings, recording 12 strikeouts.
What I didn’t like:
1. Awful ending to an uneven road trip – The O’s got no-hit by Hisashi Iwakuma in Game 3, marking the seventh no-hitter of the O’s in their history and first since Clay Buchholz’s in Sept. 2007 in Boston.
That loss and this series concluded a 4-5 trip out west for the O’s, who won two of three at Oakland but then lost two of three at the Angels and Mariners.
2. The offense – The no-hitter made some already-ugly offensive numbers look even worse. The O’s batted .147 (14-for-95) in the series.
3. Chris Tillman’s start in Game 2 – He allowed five runs in 2 1/3 innings on eight hits (including two homers) in his first start since July 29 thanks to a sprained left ankle. Tillman had been terrific in each of his previous three starts. Not this time.
4. Another injury for Matt Wieters – He suffered a right hamstring strain in Game 2 and did not play in Game 3. Wieters on Wednesday did not rule out playing in the upcoming four-game series with the A’s, so the injury doesn’t appear to be too serious. He went 3-for-5 with a walk over the first two games of this series.