As ESPN’s Darren Rovell noted, the last time the Caps played in a Stanley Cup Final game, Michael Jordan’s Bulls were celebrating a sixth NBA title. Yes, it’s been that long, but none of that matters. Beginning this Monday, the Capitals will be in Las Vegas to see the Golden Knights for Stanley Cup Final games 1 and 2.
The storylines are plentiful and obvious. Among them…
– the ever-resilient Capitals, bouncing back more than several times throughout the postseason
– Braden Holtby enters the Final on fire
– Captain Alex Ovechkin, appreciated more than ever, embracing the ‘whatever it takes’ nature of the Cup run
– these Capitals have made us all forget what’s happened before and man, does it ever feel good!!
– former Caps’ GM George McPhee is the architect of the Knights
– 3x Stanley Cup winner Marc-Andre Fleury, a nemesis in the Penguins sweater for many years, is the Knights’ goaltender
– the unlikely fashion in which the first year Knights have run through the playoffs
And that’s just scratching the surface. So pick an angle, and pull up a chair. The Capitals are in the Stanley Cup Final!!!!